CJD Reference reagents
The Centre has collated a bank of reference reagents generated for use in research into human TSE, and diagnostic test development. These reagents are used to directly compare the performance of diagnostic methods in development. Human tissue homogenates have been characterised internally by western blot, as well as secondary characterisation conducted by external laboratories developing diagnostic methods.
Identical sample sets allow a direct comparison of test performance. Available reference reagents include:
- human brain and spleen tissue homogenates from sporadic CJD, variant CJD and healthy control tissues.
- animal tissue homogenates, blood and components sourced from TSE infected animals (scrapie and BSE samples) and healthy control animals.
Please be aware that these samples cannot undergo prior testing for hazardous pathogen contamination, e.g. HIV and HBV, and it is the sole responsibility of the requestor that all precautions are taken to ensure the safe handling of samples.Order a reagent
Requests for reagents must be submitted to the address as specified on the appropriate requisition form and not to any other individual and/or address. Upon our receipt of your request the requestor will receive an acknowledgement of receipt by email. The requestor will receive a further email notification that samples are ready for dispatch, and at this point the requestor should ensure that they are ready to receive samples.
Although we endeavor to meet all requests for reagents, these resources are finite and reagents will be dispatched at the discretion of the CJD Research and Resource Centre.
Requestors must complete the current version of the appropriate requisition form. Completed forms can be submitted by email, however it should be noted that the original signed copies must also be sent via post. Requestors are required to complete the forms clearly and completely. Failure to complete all relevant sections may result in the delay of reagents being dispatched.
If the invoice address differs from the delivery address, please ensure that the delivery address is clearly stated in your reagent request, together with a contact name. Invoices for reagents will normally be issued within 2 to 3 weeks of receipt of the reagents.
Brain Homogenates Form - Word
Spleen Homogenates Form - Word
Spleen Homogenates Form - PDF
Peptide Library Form - Word
Peptide Library Form - PDF
14-3-3 Protein Form - Word
14-3-3 Protein Form - PDF
Plasma panel Form - Word
Plasma panel Form - PDF
Delivery and costs
Shipments within the UK and shipments abroad that do not require refrigeration and are non-infectious are delivered at no additional cost.
All shipments requiring dry ice are sent at cost. Prices listed below are for indicative purposes only.
- All UK shipments requiring dry ice will be sent door-to-door and will incur a charge of £35-£70 per package, irrespective of the package being infectious or non-infectious.
- Shipments to EU Member States that require dry ice will be sent door-to-door (wherever possible) and will incur a charge of £160-£250, irrespective of the package being infectious or non-infectious.
- All other international shipments requiring dry ice will be sent door-to-door (wherever possible) and will incur a charge of £200-£400, irrespective of the package being infectious or non-infectious.
Please note that a small number of destinations (e.g. Australia) may incur an additional charge or may preclude the option of door-to-door delivery.
For more information on our available reagents, or for any further queries please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.